Saturday, June 11, 2005

Working on Farsi text, a browser story

I have been working on Farsi training material on Wikibooks; it is a project to teach the Farsi characters and sounds to Dutch people. I do not speek Farsi, I am not learning to speak Farsi, I am just helping this project to improve.

A lesson has two parts; the spoken Farsi words and the translation in Dutch. When you click on the Farsi words, you may hear the pronunciation in the .ogg format. When you press the Dutch words it takes you to the nl.wiktionary.org. When a word does not exist I create it when the word exists I add the Farsi translation.

It is really hard if not impossible to use my favourite browser, I have to move to the other side as it is clearly superior when editing a page like FarsiLes5. In the past I did enter bugreports for Mozilla and Mediawiki, I learned today that they are working on it. I hope they do a good job because Firefox is almost useless when editing pages where there is a mix of languages.

No comments: